Tuesday 9 October 2018

Be your Beautiful Self (AJP)


Today I'd like to share an art journal page I made in response to a prompt from Nina Ribena which was "texture and white space" I had a lot of fun with this...

I started with a thickish layer of  white gesso, roughly applied (I did not want a neat smooth surface). Once that was dry, I used  black archival ink with a selection of stamps from VLVS. Then I added some watered down DecoArt media acrylics.  I didn't like how bright some of the colours were so spritzed them again and let them run down the page, but then realised that there were pretty much no white spaces left, so I added in some titanium white with my fingers before adding texture paste through a script stencil.

While this was drying I gathered my bit and bobs...some burlap trim which I split at the ends, a doily which I treated with distress oxides (old paper, tea dye and soot) the face and wings which I made early in the week out of paper clay and moulds (love this stuff) , a frame from a set I picked up in the pound shop last month and a butterfly which was stamped and fussy cut....and then adhered them all with gel medium. I went round the edges of the whole page with distress soot ink and finally added the small talk wording (by Tim Holtz) to complete the page.

I really enjoyed making this...once I got past the gesso stage, I got lost in the process and that felt so good.

Until next time
Cxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious (AJP)

Back to basics with this simple art journal page offering. A mop up page, some finger painting, stamps and mark making added and I was pl...