Tuesday, 13 March 2018

Recycled Heart


This was a fun project I made for an art group swap. The theme was Hearts and the only stipulation was that it had to be made using recycled materials... which makes my inner pack rat sing (and my husband sigh with relief that some of the "junk" I refuse to throw out was actually getting used 😁)

I started with a squished lid from a box some A4 paper and card came in and from this I drew and cut out some hearts (I used the others in other projects, it seemed to make sense to deal with that lid and get rid of the waste in one go).  They were gessoed and painted both sides (it helps with base rigidity, prevents curling and  of course looks better if the back of the project can be seen) and then stamped with a crackle stamp (Andy Skinner Toxic set), inked and finished with  white gold Alchemy wax.

For the base I used one of the flaps from a heavy duty box adhesive supplies had been delivered in and I distressed the cardboard. The box was way stronger than I expected and this was hard work and messy... but so worth it. Once it was done to my satisfaction I  added a layer of gesso and allowed to dry. Next I added some texture paste using two different script stencils. Once that was dry I used a paper artsy mini script stamp and randomly stamped the base. Then I used the white gold Alchemy wax again around the edges and  to add some highlights.

I stamped the FRAGILE wording (also from Toxic set) and printed the quote wording and ink edged them both before adhering them to the project. I wrapped some metallic thread around the heart and then used heavy body gel to adhere the heart to the back panel.

A couple of holes punched with the cropodile and threaded with some left over twine ribbon finished the piece and it was sent off to my swap partner.

I had such fun with this and it was good to see how something that was due to go in the recycle bin could be transformed with a little time and some painty stuff.

Until next time
Cxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painted Silence

This was the card I sent to my regular card swap buddy this month. I used a brick embossing folder for the base and a Gothic arch templ...