Sunday 2 July 2017

NOT the prettiest Coaster in the world...


I have  a desperate need to tidy my craft space...and so what do I end up doing? Making stuff with odd things I have lying around of course!

And today I spotted a pile of old seasonal catalogues from SU that should really be destined for the recycling bin... but then that old I'm sure I could make something with these thing kicked in and there I was tearing and rolling catalogues...until I had a basket of pretty strong paper straws...

I cut a 10cm square piece of kraft card, added some gel matt medium and started pressing the straws lightly onto the base until it covered. I then brushed the whole thing with a thin layer of mat medium and left it to dry, before trimming the overlapping pieces from each side.

Then I applied paint... I did not gesso first - I'm not sure why I skipped this because I pretty much always gesso everything before I add paint, and to be honest if I do this again I will add a layer of gesso before I start painting, but this was a practice run and nothing was harmed so I just added paint... and I kept adding paint until I was pretty happy with it.

Once it was all painted I then painted extra rolled paper straws to use to cover the open ends on two sides of my project. I tried adding a border all the way round but it was not working so I gave up... Once the straws were dry I added them and then painted over again...

Once everything was all stuck down, painted and dry I used a background stamp and some black archival ink to add some interest...

This coaster will definitely not win any prizes and it is absolute NOT the prettiest coaster in the world, but its mine and I had fun.

Until next time
Cxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious (AJP)

Back to basics with this simple art journal page offering. A mop up page, some finger painting, stamps and mark making added and I was pl...