Friday 16 August 2019

Magical - an AJP



This was something that came about from a challenge prompt from the lovely Marta Lapkowska.

It had to include a door, a wall, some brickwork, some handwriting and something upside down. 

This was a very wet and messy project but I really enjoyed the process. I used ordinary poly-filler through a stencil for this. It gave the depth and feel or real brick and was super cheap because I bought my tub of filler from the pound shop (why not?)

Once the poly-filler had dried - I zapped it quickly with the heat gun to dry the surface and set it aside overnight to be sure it was fully dry  because I planned to use a lot of wet medium and did not want to end up with a soggy mess.

I used DAS air dry paper based clay to make the door and windows and the toadstools and I also zapped them with the heat gun and left them overnight to dry out (actually they dried over two days while I worked on the other stages)

On the opposite page I used a  fairly thick layer of gesso applied with a palette knife and then  randomly added a mix of crackle paint and crackle paste with the palette knife and that also had overnight to dry.

On day two I began to add the layers of paint washes to build up the layers and depth of colour to add detail to the wall and the brickwork. Messy and repetitive but I kept going until I was happy with the result... I gave the same paint and wash treatment to the clay elements and left everything to dry thoroughly before adding it to the pages.

The hedgehogs and flowers were stamped, coloured and fussy cut before being adhered with gel medium. I really like this page, even if it is heavy and bulky in my journal.

Until next time
Cxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious (AJP)

Back to basics with this simple art journal page offering. A mop up page, some finger painting, stamps and mark making added and I was pl...