This week I have been playing around with "box art" or Art in a box and I have tried several different types...the first of which is this matchbox art.
I used distress oxides with a baby wipe through a stencil before assembling the box and the sleeve and also for the belly band which was a last minute addition, I added some stamped and heat embossed shells and starfish as decoration.
Once the belly band is removed , a simple push from one end of the matchbox will start to reveal what is inside...
until the box is fully opened and
the whole scene is revealed...
For the inside I used a gesso base, topped with acrylics in shades of blue and white and once dry I stamped the gulls in the top corner before I assembled the base box. Painting all the surfaces before assembly means the roof side and base are all painted as part of the scene.
The tree and boat were stamped onto a piece of card, coloured and cut and I used a scored strip to pop this up halfway into the box base. The front of the scene was finished with some mica granite flakes and some art stones adhered with heavy body gel.
This was my very first attempt at anything like this and it was a challenge working on such a small scale but I learned stuff and had fun along the way.
Until next time